Get Free Trial
Guide to embed Power BI reports, dashboards in WordPress. Integrate Microsoft Power BI with WordPress using miniOrange Embed Power BI WordPress plugin. This setup guide will demonstrate the steps on how to embed PowerBI reports, dashboards, tiles, datasets in WordPress pages and posts so users can view the interactive Power BI artifacts from the WordPress site itself. You can also enable row level security (RLS) for a granular view of the Power BI charts in WP.
Pre-requisites : Download And Installation
To configure Embed Microsoft Power BI reports on your site you would need to install the PowerBI Plugin:
Embed Microsoft Power BI reports, tiles, dashboards, Q&A, etc in WordPress site with support for Row-level security (RLS)
Steps to configure Azure AD for WP PowerBI Integration
1. Configure the Azure AD App registration
- Log in to Azure AD Portal as admin
- You will be represented with the home screen of Azure Active Directory.
- Under the Azure Services section, select Azure Active Directory.
- In the left tab, under the Manage section, select App registrations.
- Click on New registration.
- Assign the Display Name in the name field and choose the account type.
- In the Redirect URI field, provide the URL of your WordPress site and click on the Register button.
- After the registration of an application, Azure AD assigns an unique application ID to your application.
- Navigate to the Overview tab, in the left pane.
- Copy the Application ID and the Directory ID, this will be your Client ID and Tenant ID.
- From the left navigation pane, navigate to the Certificates & secrets tab.
- Click on New client secret. Enter the description and expiration time and click on the ADD option.
- Copy the value of Secret Key. This will be your Client Secret Key.
Add API Permissions to your Azure AD Application:
- Go to API Permissions from the left navigation pane and click on Add a permission option.
- Select Microsoft Graph under the Microsoft APIs tab.
- Select Application Permissions and search for the User.
- Under User select User.Read and User.Read.All permission and click on the Add Permissions button.(Microsoft Graph)
- Under Report select Report.Read.All permission and click on the Add Permissions button.(Power BI Service)
- Click on Grant admin consent for Default Directory and click on Yes on grant admin consent confirmation.
- You have successfully configured the Azure AD application.
2. Configure the Azure AD Security Group Settings
- In the Azure Active Directory Home page, navigate to the Groups from the left pane.
- Click on New Group to add a new security group.
- Select the Group type as Security from the dropdown and enter the Group Name as Allow Power BI Admin APIs.
- Once you have entered the details click on the Create button to create a new security group.
- Search and select newly created security groups (Allow Power BI Admin APIs).
- Navigate to the Members tab from the left pane and click on Add Members.
- Now search for the application name you have previously configured and click on the Select button.
You have successfully configured Azure AD app to achieve User Sync and Power BI Integration into your WordPress Site.
3. Configure the Power BI settings
- Go to the Power BI dashboard and login as an administrator.
- You will be represented with the home screen of the Power BI.
- On the top right corner, click on icon as shown below.
- Under the Settings tab, click on the Admin portal option.
- In the Admin Portal section, under the Tenant settings, scroll down to the Developer settings.
- Click on Allow service principals to use Power BI APIs.
- Enable the toggle and then click on Apply.
- Scroll down to the Admin API settings, enable the toggle and then choose the option of Specific security groups.
- Search for Allow PowerBI Admin APIs then click on Apply.
- Navigate back to the Home page. Select the Workspaces tab from the left pane and then select your workspace from the list.
- Navigate to the Access tab.
- In the Access section, search for the application that you have previously configured.
- From the dropdown below, select the Admin and click on Add button to assign this Azure AD application to your Power BI workspace.
- Select the report that you want to embedd in WordPress page or post.
- Then copy the Workspace_ID and Report_ID from the URL as shown in the below image and keep it handy as you will need it further.
4. View Power BI Content using SSO
- Now you can enable Azure AD SSO into WordPress so that the users in your organization can view the Power BI content.
- To enable SSO on your WordPress site you enable the toggle Add a Single Sign-On button on the WordPress login page.
- By enabling this Option, a SSO button would be added on the default WordPress login page.
5. Embedd your Power BI report into the WordPress
With this, you have successfully connected Power BI with WordPress allowing you to embed interactive PowerBI reports, charts, and dashboards in WordPress. With additional support for row level security, you can enable a granular view of your Power BI visualizations in your WordPress site.
6. Additional configurations for your Embedded Resources
- Navigate to the Settings tab of the plugin in order to configure additional settings for the embedded resources.
- Filter Pane : This feature enables or disables the display of filter pane on the embedded resource.
- Page Navigation : This feature enables or disables the display of the page navigation bar below the embedded content.
- Language : If you wish to view the embedded content in any specific language then you may configure it from this option.
- Format Locale : By this feature, you may change the locale format for embedded resources.
- Mobile Breakpoint : This is the value which will be considered for embedding reports in mobile layout. Any width less than the entered amount will trigger the Mobile Report Embed functionality.
- Mobile Height : This is the height for the mobile layout when width is less than the value entered in Mobile Breakpoint.
- Mobile Width : This is the width for the mobile layout when width is less than the value entered in Mobile Breakpoint.
- You may configure any of the settings above as per your requirements.
Now you have successfully embedded your Power BI report into the WordPress page and provided access to the Power BI report via Azure AD SSO .
Why Our Customers choose miniOrange PowerBI Embed Reports Solutions?
miniOrange provides 24/7 support for all the Secure Identity Solutions. We ensure high quality support to meet your satisfaction.
See for yourself what our customers say about us.
Extensive Setup Guides
Easy and precise step-by-step instructions and videos to help you configure within minutes.
We offer Secure Identity Solutions for Single Sign-On, Two Factor Authentication, Adaptive MFA, Provisioning, and much more. Please contact us at
+1 978 658 9387 (US) | +91 97178 45846 (India) firstname.lastname@example.org