miniOrange provides secure access to WordPress for enterprises and full control over access of applications, Single Sign On (SSO) into WordPress with one set of login credentials.
What is WordPress Multisite Network
- A WordPress Multisite network allows you to create and manage a network of multiple websites from a single WordPress dashboard.
By maintaining one set of username and password, the user can create multiple sites or blogs on the same domain.
- The multisite network main domain shares its common resources such as the database, file system, and functionalities with all the websites hosted on the multisite network.
- The WordPress Multisite network also provides advanced customization options such as theme management, plugin administration, and site admin access.
How is WordPress Multisite Network beneficial
- Site administrators can access all of their sites from a single WordPress dashboard using a single username and password.
- With multisite enabled, Site admin can easily manage the installed plugins on the hosted websites. From updating the plugin and deploying across all of your sites to deactivating the plugins, everything can be managed at network administration settings.
- Multisite network allows you to share themes with all hosted websites. Site admin can easily customize the themes by enabling it for the entire network or individual networks.
- With multisite network, managing user logins becomes easy. When a user registers on one site, they can be allowed to login to your subsites while remaining logged in.
How does WordPress Multisite Network plugin works
- Once the plugin is activated on the network level its configurations will be applied to all the subsites. If you have configured the OAuth plugin on network level, users can login into any subsite through SSO and their accounts will be maintained in the each subsite they login.
- The user creation on subsites will be handled independently which means if a user does the SSO on subsite A then his account will be created on subsite A. Now if he wants to access subsite B then he needs to again do the SSO on subsite B and his account creation will be handled as per the configurations of the plugin.
How miniOrange OAuth / OpenID Connect Single Sign-On Plugin works with Multisite
Without Multisite support, you have to configure the WordPress OAuth / OpenID Connect Single Sign-On Plugin on each site separately, add idp configuration on each site individually and add service provider configuration for each site in the IDP.
For Example -
If you have 1 main site with 3 subsites
. Then, you have to configure the plugin 3 times on each site, add idp configuration 3 times as well as 3 service provider configurations in your IDP.
With Multi-Site plugin. You have to configure the plugin only once on main network site as well as only 1 service provider configuration in the IDP.
Benefits of Multi-Site Plugin:
- If you have a site that keeps growing. For example - if you are a university and the site is for students, then choosing this option will save you the time to configure the plugin on each new site that is added to your multisite network.
- If you have an organisation with different departments and you want to give role specific access to different users in each site. This plugin will allow you to configure role mapping for each site individually.