Nextcloud is a suite of client-server software for creating and using file hosting services. Nextcloud application functionally is similar to Dropbox. Unlike Dropbox, Nextcloud does not offer off-premises file storage hosting. Nextcloud is free and open-source, which means that anyone is allowed to install and operate it on their own private server devices.
Login using WordPress Users ( WP as SAML IDP ) plugin gives you the ability to use your WordPress credentials to log into NextCloud. Here we will go through a step-by-step guide to configure SSO between, NextCloud as Service Provider and WordPress as an Identity Provider.
Note: Premium Version is required to set up SSO to NextCloud.
Follow the Step-by-Step Guide given below for NextCloud Single Sign On (SSO)
Step 1: Download and Setup the plugin
- Login to WordPress using Administrator account.
- Download / Install this plugin - Login using WordPress Users ( WP as SAML IDP ) and activate it. You will see WordPress IDP in your WordPress menu bar in the Dashboard.
- Click on the WordPress IDP option in the menu bar, and select IDP Metadata tab.
Step 2: Configure NextCloud as Service Provider
- Open a new browser tab or window, Log in to your NextCloud account as Account Admin.
- Click on the top right corner. Select Apps.
- Search for SSO & SAML Authentication. Click on Download and Enable.
- Click on the top right corner, and select Settings. Find SSO & SAML Authentication on the left side, and open it.
- Click on Use built-in SAML Authentication, click on Add Identity Provider.
Switch back to the tab / window with the IDP Metadata. Enter the information into the corresponding fields.
|Attribute to map the UID to
|Identifier of the IDP Entity
||Copy and paste the IDP Entity ID.
|URL Target of the IdP
||Copy and paste the SAML Login URL.
||Download the Certificate. Open it in notepad. Copy and paste the content here.
Once this is done, click on Download metadata XML to download the SP metadata XML file.
Step 3: Configure WordPress as the
- Go to WordPress IDP Plugin on the Dashboard and select Service Providers tab.
- Enter the following information into the corresponding fields. Click Save.
|Service Provider Name
|SP Entity ID or Issuer
||https://<your Nextcloud URL>/index.php/apps/user_saml/saml/metadata
||https://<your Nextcloud URL>/index.php/apps/user_saml/saml/acs
- Click on the IDP Metadata tab.
Step 4: Configure attributes in the plugin (This is a premium feature)
- Select Attribute/Role Mapping. In the User Attributes section, enter the following information. Click Save.
||User Meta Data